Monday, September 21, 2009

Adventures in Breastfeeding

So this time around I have been determined to breastfeed, but let me tell you, it has been to easy ride. With Connor, we really had no chance. My nipples are pretty flat and Connor had a severe tongue tied tongue(the tip of his tongue was attached to the underside so he wasn't able to stick out his tongue). I nursed him for about 4 days, but my nipples hurt so bad, and he had a hard time latching on. So I started pumping and never went back. I did pump for about 7/8 months so he still got the breastmilk. But this time, I wanted to be able to do it.



In order for me to get my nipples to come out more I started wearing breastshells a few months before Bella was born. I'd wear them for a few hours everyday to help pull my nipples out. This seemed to be working. So when she was born I continued to wear them. The only problem with this is that they make you leak milk like a steady flow! I had built up so much milk because of this that I also had to pump all the time so I didn't get engorged. I remember going to Wal Mart one day to buy some nursing pads, and since the breastshells collect milk in them if you don't have pads in them, the milk can come out when you bend over. I didn't realize that there was already so much milk collected in them that when I bent over to get the nursing pads(the exact thing that would prevent this problem) milk leaked everywhere. Thank goodness I had a black shirt on that day, but it still didn't matter, I had 2 round wet circles in front of my boobs! Needless to say, I was done shopping then.



Now when Bella was born, she also did a great job nursing for the first few days. Then when she was a week old she had to have an ultrasound of her stomach because she was projectile vomiting all the time. But during this ultrasound she had to drink from a bottle. Well here was another obstacle in breastfeeding that we had to overcome. Since the nipple on a bottle and my nipples are so different, she started not wanting to nurse again.nnBut I tried sticking to it, I am so determined. So she would then go a couple days nursing great and a couple just terrible. In the meantime, I also stopped using a nuk.

Another problem was clogged milk ducts. Sucky sucky. This hurts really bad, you get a huge lump on you boob and it gets really hot and engorged and the last thing you want to do is nurse on that side, but the cure for the problem is just that, so it is very painful. On top of that there was also the cracked bleeding painful nipples.

So after the last 8 weeks of all these problems I could have gave up and just pumped many times. And the thought crossed my mind numerous times a day. But I was too stubborn and determined to let this happen. I knew that it had to get better, I knew that she could get used to it and master it, and I knew that the pain would eventually go away.

Now I can say today that is has been a whole week without a single problem. She has been nursing like a champ. I'm hesitant to say, but will chance it anyway, I think we have finally got it figured out! And I am so happy that I don't have to worry and get frustrated about it anymore. Hopefully that will be the end of the problems, but wouldn't be surprised if another comes about.

On another good note, Ben will be home in 4.5 days (106 hours)!

No comments: